Saturday, August 2, 2008

Mason's Smile is Back...

I'm very blessed to have healthy kids. I've realized that blessing even more so this last week as Mason has been super sick and life has been crazy! It all started last Saturday with a lot of screaming, vomitting, and even a late night trip to the ER. All the Urgent Care places were closed and I was worried about dehydration with all that was coming out and nothing staying in. He was puking so bad on his clothes and stuff that we went thru an infant hospital gown or two at the hospital, and went home late that night with one also. We had a few days of throwing up, and then several more of not eating/hardly drinking, and lots of high fevers and sad days, long nights, and cuddling. Needless to say, he has lost a bunch of weight and still not quite back to his complete old self, but at least the smile has returned. Cole has not gotten sick, although he has conveniently picked up a lot more whining since. Funny how needy he is when he is suddenly not the center of life and attention. Are all kids that way? So patience is indeed a virtue, and one that I am sorely lacking in!
Mason started getting sick in the afternoon, and Rusty is convinced it is because of our ward's service project that morning cleaning the headstones at the local military cemetery. We were there all morning scrubbing the lichen and moss from the graves with bristled brushes and vinegar water. Curious Mason was sometimes spotted with his tongue out licking the tops of the tombs. Yuck, I know, but I didn't really think much of it. He's a tongue kid, and it seemed pretty harmless. I just remember feeling grateful that he wasn't trying to bathe in the water buckets. The trouble started later that afternoon and Rusty's guess is that it came from something nasty off a grave. One doctor visit couldn't pinpoint Mason's ailment-- just that it was some sort of viral infection, which could be just about anything from anywhere. So maybe Rusty's idea is right or maybe he's just looking for a reason why service was a bad idea that morning-- jk. There were a few other kids Mason's age who were doing the same thing, but I haven't asked those parents yet if they've experienced anything similar. I think some nasty stuff has been going around though.

But gratefully, I think we're getting better. Funny how a sick kid can throw everything else off balance-- cancel appointments, no church-- find subs for classes, put life and house-cleaning on hold, don't go to the store (live off your food storage and cold cereal!), lots of sleepless nights, worry, and stress, lots of laundry and wasted, uneaten food from trying to get him to eat and drink-- need I go on?? One bright light was all the cuddling I got to enjoy with my little guy. He's grown up so fast and becoming quite independent, so it's nice to focus on the love. And at least my sanity is starting to return. When getting dressed yesterday, I asked Cole what we should wear and he said Mason wanted to wear his dress (AKA- hospital gown), so he did for a while. At least this time he was smiling in it, so I had to take some pictures!

4 comments:

Angie said...

Poor little guy. That must have been miserable for you guys. Glad he's feeling better now.

Jen S said...

tomb-licking?!! yuko. :) never heard that one before! glad he's feeling better, tho!

Jocelyn said...

Poor you and poor baby!!! Maybe he caught the nasty flu that has been going around??? I can name a few families (including mine!) who have spent a few days around the toilet...

Tahlea said...

Crazy bug! Glad Mason's smiling again. He's got a fabulous grin:-)