Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Guess Who's Got Glasses....


We finally got to pick up Cole's glasses (last Sat. Jan 23rd), and so far-- he is loving them and we are too. I think he is super cute with them! We've been waiting on them for a little over a month (do you know how long that is for a 4 yr old who asks "when can we get my glasses?" constantly?). The day was long awaited! I didn't really have any clues that he might need them (no comments about struggling to see, no squinting eyes, etc. that I have often heard could be signs). But I did have a lingering thought about just needing to get his eyes checked, so I finally made an appointment early Dec. 09, if nothing else than to ease my mind about it. I am very grateful for those nagging thoughts because after a few appts and having his eyes dialated, it was determined that Cole actually struggles a lot-- he is far-sighted and has a prescription of +7.0. From what I understand, he sees better far away, but the issue is more that the muscle in his eye strains to compensate and works hard trying to bring things into focus. Having him in glasses will help his eyes get a break and not be so tired (especially toward the end of the day when he's tired or when he's working on homework or other close-up things that require focusing). I guess him needing glasses shouldn't be a huge surprise knowing that both Rusty and I wear contacts/glasses, so all of our kids are probably doomed to follow suit. We just feel grateful to have figured this out so early on and we're told that his eyes can do well to improve so his prescription can lessen as time goes on. Rusty worries that kids will make fun of Cole (Rusty had thick glasses as a child), but glasses are so common and even fashionable these days that I don't really have that concern. And for now, Cole loves them, so we're just hoping that continues and it's not just the novelty of something new.

4 comments:

LeashyLoo said...

He looks adorable Nea! What a cutie! I don't think that kids will make fun of him at all...so many kids wear glasses these days that it isn't really strange anymore.

Christen said...

He looks all grown up! Very cute!

Koriane said...

So cute with glasses! I need to have my kids checked. . .

Park Family said...

He looks adorable! I love little kids in glasses. I wish Taylor loved her glasses as much as Cole. It really is fashionable to wear glasses these days.